Capitola Jr. Guards
2015 Jr. Guard dates:
Session 1: June 15 - July 17
Session 2: July 20 - August 14
2015 Competition dates:
Seacliff: June 24 & 25
Capitola: July 8 & 9
Santa Cruz: August 5 & 6
Regionals (Huntington Beach): July 24
The information listed below is from our 2014 program. Prices are still tentative, but you can use the information as reference for 2015. Check back, as full information will be posted here late January/early February for our 2015 program.
*Please note: Our "resident" boundaries have changed since the 2014 program. A "resident" now includes anyone residing within the boundaries of the City of Capitola and the Soquel Union Elementary School District: approximately 38th Avenue to Santa Cruz Gardens to Cabrillo College, inclusive.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION REGARDING HIRING FOR JUNIOR LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTORS FOR 2015, PLEASE GO HERE: http://www.cityofcapitola.org/recreation/page/recreation-jobs.
The Capitola Junior Lifeguard program is a very active, physically challenging, competitive program which provides instruction in the basic fundamentals of ocean water safety, first aid, lifesaving, fitness, and good sportsmanship. Jr. Guards are required to swim or be involved in ocean-oriented activities every day, so they must be comfortable swimming in the ocean before enrolling in the program. Activities include open water swimming, paddle boarding, body surfing, surfboard riding, races, mock rescues, beach & water games, calisthenics and work-outs, and competitions. Program fees include instruction, official t-shirt, and discounts with local merchants.
Swim Test: Junior Guards are required to swim or be involved in ocean-oriented activities every day, so they must be comfortable swimming in the ocean before enrolling in the program. All Junior Guards (ages 9 & up) will be required to pass a swim test on the first day of the program; they must be able to swim 100 yards (about 4 lengths of a pool) in under 2:30 minutes without help and be able to tread water for at least 5 minutes. Little Guards (ages 6-8) must be comfortable in the ocean, in being submerged in water and able to tread water. Swim lessons prior to enrolling in the program are highly recommended. Junior Guards who are unable to pass the swim test will be dropped from the program.
This rewarding work-training program for Guards ages 16 & 17, includes instruction and CPR certification to prepare participants to be future Junior Lifeguard Instructors. Tower time and a commitment of at least 2 hours per week assisting with the afternoon Little Guards and C Division is required. You must have participated in Junior Lifeguards for at least 2 years to be eligible for Captains Corps. The program is offered at a reduced rate: All participants: $130 per session; $250 all summer.
Session 1 (5 weeks): June 16 - July 18 - No program on Friday, 7/4.
Session 2 (4 weeks): July 21 - August 15
Price for Session 1:
Resident: $242 (A “resident” is anyone residing within the boundaries of the City of Capitola.)
Price For Session 2:
Resident: $192 (A “resident” is anyone residing within the boundaries of the City of Capitola.)
Group Photo (All Guards):
Session 1: $12
Session 2: $12
*** REFUND POLICY - PLEASE READ BEFORE SIGNING UP ***
Please realize that the recreation department has to arrange staffing, supplies and equipment needs for the entire summer at the beginning of the summer; refunds can have a significant impact on the program and staff. Please be sure your child wants to attend before signing him or her up, especially for both sessions. If your child is unsure about Session 2, please wait to register until later in the summer. Please review the 2014 refund policies outlined below before registering:
- There is a $50 fee for refunds given prior to May 30th for Session 1 and July 3rd for Session 2.
- A refund, less 50% of the fees, will be given if requested June 2nd – June 17th for Session 1 and July 7th – July 22nd for Session 2 (this is the 2 weeks prior to the start of the program and through the second day of the program).
- After the second day of the program, no refunds will be given.
- Student injuries that occur during the program that preclude the student’s continuation in the program will be given a pro-rated refund based upon the remaining number of days in the program, including the date of injury. You may be required to provide documentation regarding an injury.
- There is no refund of fees for students who are suspended or removed from the program for disciplinary reasons
Session 1 Schedule
|#2001.400||Captains, All Summer||16-17 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2001.401||Captains, 1st Session Only||16-17 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2002.401||Group A||14-15 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2003.401||Group B||12-13 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2008.401||C's: Competitive 11 years only||11 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|6-8 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2004.401||Group C||9-11 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2005.401||Little Guards||6 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2006.401||Little Guards||7 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2007.401||Little Guards||8 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
Session 2 Schedule
|#2001.402||Captains, 2nd Session Only||16-17 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2002.402||Group A||14-15 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2003.402||Group B||12-13 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2008.402||Group C||9-11 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2011. 402||Little Guards||6-8 years||Monday - Friday||9 am - Noon|
|#2004.402||Group C||9-11 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2005.402||Little Guards||6 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2006.402||Little Guards||7 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
|#2007.402||Little Guards||8 years||Monday - Friday||1-4 pm|
The Junior Guards program includes 3 local competitions, at Seacliff, Capitola, and Santa Cruz. Parents will need to transport their children to the locations for the 2 competitions that are off-site. In addition, participants in Junior Guards (9 years & up) have the opportunity to compete in the Regionals Competition in Southern California the first Friday of Session 2; the team is selected during Session 1. There is a separate fee for the Regionals Competition; further information will be handed out during the sessions.
- Seacliff Competition: PLEASE NOTE: THE COMPETITION DATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO: Wednesday, June 25 (Little Guards) & Thursday, June 26 (Jr. Guards)
- Capitola Competition: Wednesday, July 9 (Little Guards 6-8 years) NOTE: No Jr. Guards (ages 9 & up) program this day. Thursday, July 10 (Jr. Guards ages 9 & up), 9-3pm. NOTE: No Little Guards (ages 6-8) program this day.
- Santa Cruz Norcals at Main Beach: Wednesday, August 6 (Little Guards) & Thursday, August 7 (Jr. Guards)
- Regionals Competition - Huntington Beach: Friday, July 25.
Junior Guards Sweats, Water Bottles, Accessories
The Parents Club raises money for college scholarships for Junior Guard athletes. The Club sells the JG sweatshirts, sweatpants, beach towels water bottles and other items; these will be available through the recreation office at Jade Street Park and the first 2 days of each session at the beach. Payment can be made with cash or a check made out to: "Junior Guards Parents Club."
2014 Junior Guards Registration Information
Returning Guards (from the 2013 program only) and New Guards Ages 12 & Up:
Registration begins March 17. Register your child with the group that corresponds to his or her age as of July 1, 2014. Register any time between March 17 and Friday, April 4 to retain your priority registration or to enroll your older Guard.
- You can download the registration forms & Parents Information Packet from this page (see below).
- We cannot accept online registration, but you can print out the forms and mail them in or bring them in to our office with your payment.
- For legal reasons, we must have original forms; please do not fax in forms. Faxed-in forms will be returned to you and your child will not be registered until we receive original forms.
- If you do not register prior to April 4, you will lose your priority status and will be treated as a new registration, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please note: effective Fall 2012, only residents of Capitola are considered "residents", all others are "non-residents."
NEW GUARDS, AGES 6-11:
Registration is first-come, first-served, and opens Monday, April 7, during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Capitola Recreation office, 4400 Jade Street, Capitola. You can download the registration forms & Parents Information Packet from this page (see below). We cannot accept online registration, but you can print out the forms and mail them in or bring them in to our office with your payment. For legal reasons, we must have original forms; please do not fax in forms. Faxed-in forms will be returned to you and your child will not be registered until we receive original forms.
- Register your child with the age group that corresponds to his or her age as of July 1, 2014.
- If you are registering in person, please bring your child's birth certificate with you to the office so we can verify his or her age.
- If you are registering by mail, please provide a copy of your child's birth certificate (it will be shredded).
- Mail-in or Walk-in registration only.
- Please note: effective Fall 2012, only residents of Capitola are considered "residents", all others are "non-residents".
JG Red Bathing Suits
All Jr. Guards should wear red sport bathing suits that are appropriate for running and competing on the beach and swimming in the ocean. Boys should wear board shorts and girls should wear one-piece suits or two-piece competition suits. A few local places to check include O'Neill Surf Shop (on 41st. Avenue), Free To Ride (in Capitola Village), Play It Again Sports (in Soquel), Jerry's Sports (in Santa Cruz), and other surf shops. If you mention that you are buying a suit for your child who is enrolled in Junior Guards, you may receive a discount.
*** Junior Guard Program Scholarships:
The Junior Lifeguard Parents Club and the Capitola Public Safety & Community Service Foundation will be offering a limited number of scholarships for the 2014 Junior Lifeguard program. You must apply by March 7, 2014 for either Session. See the links below for guidelines for applying and to print out the application.
JG Phone at beach: 462-3956
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow